28 July 2006

Good and Bad

One of my favourite things about writing is that moment when the quiet guy in the back of my head speaks up. When I'm writing sometimes there are a lot of voices in my head, all looking to be heard, as if a group of people are in a room shooting out ideas. In that group, there's always a quiet guy that waits until everyone else is done and says one line that blows everyone away. This morning while I was driving, the quiet guy spoke up. I think what he said will work for the character involved and is incredibly clever.

One of my least favourite things about writing is that I want to tell someone else this clever idea but I don't want to spoil any future stories for them. Additionally, this twist isn't something I can use straight away; it might take years for it to be the right time.

It's no fun being clever if you can't tell anyone that you're clever...

No comments: