27 July 2006

I'll try to explain but it might not work

I own 'The Horror of Party Beach' on DVD. Allow me to try to explain why that means something to me.

When I was a child, I spent most of my summer vacations going to the library and getting books to read. I love reading. I also love movies. As a result, I liked getting books about movies, mostly horror movies and the history of horror movies. For whatever reason, this stuff fascinates me. As a child, I never expected to be able to see most of the movies I read about. I didn't get a VCR until high school and cable TV came after that. The only hope I had to see movies was on TV and I didn't expect that most of the movies I read about would ever be on normal TV.

Now, with DVD, most of the movies I read about as a kid are available to buy or will be soon, often remastered and with extras, treated more lovingly that they were upon release decades ago. This is one of the reasons I love life.

To return to my point, 'The Horror of Party Beach' was one of those movies I read about as a kid. Despite never having seen it, the concept stayed with me. I based part of one of my stories on that movie. Now, I own a copy.

I first read about this movie because it was one of the world's 'worst' movies. An interview with the director on the DVD notes that this movie was a parody of beach and horror films. If true, it's another reason why the book in question is inaccurate and has been since it was published.

Anyway, owning a copy of 'The Horror of Party Beach' makes me feel like part of my childhood has been returned to me.

I guess I'll have to find the time to watch it, hmm?

No comments: