31 July 2006

Enough excitement for one evening

Twas a busy weekend. For now, I tell a story near its end.

I ran by Chad's house last night as I craved a boon. With all my recent cable related issues I realized I had ended up missing an episode of 'Hell's Kitchen'. Hoping he had a copy of the episode that wouldn't be replayed tonight and hoping that I could be caught up before that airing, I called to see if I could get a copy of any copy he might have. He's been having computer troubles but thought he could help. Hooray!

He said to stop my his mother's house rather than his own. The difference is but a block. He was assisting his niece Amanda and her roommate Beth (I think I have that right) in packing furniture into a van. I assisted by running my mouth and distracting the dog: two things I'm quite good at doing. None of this took very long, Chad handed over a disk holding the episode that he hoped would work and we were ready to go.

Suddenly, from the alley about a block away, lept a gray vehicle. Sparks flew as it sped across the street and into the next alley. A police car quickly followed suit. It also kicked up sparks. Tires squealed in the distance. The young ladies were keen to depart and Chad strongly discouraged that departure. The streets were not safe.

Moments later, the battered and heavily stickered gray Subaru sped past on the street alongside the house. Sparks flew again is it bounced through the intersection. The police car soon followed, still in hot pursuit. Chad noted the street they were heading down was a dead end. We waited for the sound of a crash but none came.

There was a moment of peace. I took advantage of that moment to get my car off the street. Just in case.

Neighbors emerged from their homes. We were told there had been a road block near the dead end street but the car had escaped it somehow. After a few minutes of silence, we could hear sirens in the distance again, in the residental area across the nearby major street. I pointed out police lights and we saw a couple of squad cars manuvering in that area. The sounds faded into the southeast.

We took the opportunity to get out of Dodge. I checked the paper today for details but didn't see a story on it. As a result, I currently have no ending to the story.

It was... interesting. Oh and Chad's disk proved to be unreadable. Blast!

No comments: