03 August 2006

Failure

Failure interests me. I learn from failure. Even better, I like learning from other peoples' failures. I like learning from other peoples' failures so that I can succeed. I'm not fond of failure; it just interests me.

This is part of the reason I watch 'bad' movies. Quite often the movies are failures but not total failures. Often there is some plot point, some storyline device, that I see used in a unique way and I catalog it for future reference. Sometimes I learn how not to do something from a storytelling perspective. Sometimes you run into a movie like 'Gore-Met, Zombie Chef from Hell' and you learn that anything can get released. Did anybody ever make any money from that 'film'? It's... rough.

This interest in failure is why I bothered to post yesterday. I felt reassured that the post wasn't going to work but I felt the need to try. If I failed, perhaps I could learn something from it. If nothing else, perhaps I'd learn to listen to the voice in my head that says 'That's dumb; don't post that.'

You never know if you don't try.

No comments: