05 February 2009

A Few Thoughts on Comics from This Week

'Secret Warriors' #1 was the first book I read this week and I sat there staring at it once I'd finished it. The shock revelation ending is either the most exciting thing I've read in ages or it's the dumbest thing I've ever read. I'm willing to wait for another issue or two to see how this idea gets developed before deciding. It is very wow!

'Tales of the TMNT' #55 - I've gotten Turtle comics on and off for years as that's one of the first series I got to read when I was starting in the hobby (thanks again Matt). The 'Tales' series has a rotating creator base so each issue is an adventure. I generally find them enjoyable but not often exciting. This issue's story, set before the Turtles first encounter with the Shredder, has precious little action. It's almost all character development. It's also never boring and remains interesting throughout, even if you remove the 'twist' ending of the last two pages. I loved it!

'Simpsons Super Spectacular' #8 - the first story, which is filled with Will Eisner references, amused me greatly. The 'Senor Ding Dong' story was good. The 'secret true origin' of Radioactive Man didn't do it for me. Still, not a bad book on the whole.

'Black Panther' #1 - why are we restarting this book again? The story wasn't bad but the whole tease for the female Black Panther, a storyline that I'd be surprised to see last beyond a year, doesn't seem worth restarting the numbering on the book again. I dunno about this one.

'Transformers - All Hail Megatron' #7 of 12 - The thing that's been interesting and annoying about this story is the way it's being told. It's mostly in flashback. The storyline we'd seen being developed in the other Transformers series by IDW is the basis for this story where the Decepticons attack Earth after defeating the Autobots but there's a jump between those series and this one. This has made for some interesting moments and some headscratching. More of the backstory is revealed here, including an impressive panel that made me go 'whoa'. That said, I'll be glad when the story starts moving forward a bit more and reviews the past a bit less.

'Comic Book Comics' #3 - the history of comics in comic book form. And it's funny too!

Like last week, there's some other stuff I purchased, read, and enjoyed, but this is the stuff that I felt like talking about.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Secret Warriors - shock ending? more like schlock ending. Marvel is getting way too dark for me. Why does this feel like everything I've read from Image 15 years ago...

Unknown said...

Marvel and DC have gotten darker of late. Considering how far in advance these things get planned out, I'm guessing this is reflecting some feelings from a couple years ago. As I noted at the store when someone said similarly, it's just a storyline. It too will pass. Just like Unmasked Spidey. Or Iron Spidey. Or, hopefully, unmarried Spidey.

The Image book from 15 years ago would probably have had stiffer looking art (depending on the book) and worse writing. Unless you're talking about a Jeph Loeb book, then all bets are off. :)

Anonymous said...

As of late? I don't consider 5 years as of late, and that's about when the whole "dark marvel" thing seems to have started.

Don't ever mention the JL words again, please. He is the new "he-who-shall-not-be-named" persona non grata.

DC is becoming far more fun and enjoyable to read with all the silver age fanboys there, and I do believe the problem with marvel is the Image mentality in their higher-ups.

As for the art being stiff, well...let's just say there's no Kirby there anymore...