02 February 2009

25 Things about me that no one will find interesting, even me

1 – My Dad was adopted when he was one. His adopted mother passed away when she was young and his adopted father remarried a few years before I was born. Most of the people I met as relatives on my Dad's side of the family were therefore step-adopted and not blood related in the least. They were hard drinking Irish folk so, in some ways, I do take after them.

2 – I have two younger brothers, Russell and Joseph.

3 – I consider myself a writer more than anything else. I hope to be an author someday soon. In my head at least, the difference is that authors get paid to write.

4 – I am good at spotting typos but only in other people's work.

5 – I talk rubbish quite often because it's fun. Unfortunately, sometimes I start to believe my rubbish.

6 – I am perfectly willing to look like an idiot, especially if this is on my own terms. I like to entertain.

7 – I wish I'd looked into getting contact lens earlier than I did (when was it now, 4 or 5 years ago?). I think if I'd gotten them in my twenties, when I was slimmer and had more hair, I could have been quite dangerous. Not awesome-dangerous, just dangerous.

8 – I don't think I look very good in pictures. Instead of avoiding pictures, I tend to gravitate towards them. I figure that the more pictures of me get taken, the more likely it'll turn out to be a good one.

9 – I believe that the larger the group of people you get together, for whatever purpose, the smaller the cumulative IQ of that group will be. This is best proved when driving. In theory everyone has the goal of getting somewhere but does everyone drive like they have a place to go? Nope!

10 – I'm probably smarter than I realize. Comparing that to what I've accomplished, I consider myself to be an underachiever. Must try harder.

11 – I've long joked about being crazy but I probably am to some degree. At the very least, I'm not what most people would consider to be normal so, by being different, I'm some sort of crazy.

12 – The year after I graduated high school, I spent about a month feeling 'suicidal'. I place that in quotes because, in retrospect, I don't think I was in any real danger of hurting myself and I don't want to trivialize someone else's more serious issues. It's more like I spent a month in a horrible mood where I questioned the reasons for my continued existence and broke myself out of it by going to see a movie with Kathy Ireland in it 4 times. See? I told you I was crazy, but you didn't believe me! Why didn't you believe me?!?

13 – I talk to myself often, both out loud and to myself. I argue with myself, mock myself, console myself, analyze myself; it can get a little weird. I think it's due to the part of my brain that processes other thought patterns for when I write.

14 – I generally never feel my age nor act it.

15 – I daydream a lot but I can always pretend it's work by using something in my writing.

16 – It's rare that I completely lose interest in something. It does happen but it's much more likely that I'll add a new interest and run out of time to pursue an older one. Unfortunately this occasionally and unintentionally happens with friends as well.

17 – I didn't see 'Return of the Jedi' until I was 12. I didn't care for it much and so 'Star Wars' (I don't care what Lucas says, the name of that film isn't 'Episode 4' or 'A New Hope', it's just 'Star Wars') and 'The Empire Strikes Back' would wait until I was 21. I therefore have no nostalgia to associate with those films.

18 – I don't expect or need to be best friends with anyone with whom I work. All that should be necessary is a mutual respect that we can both do our jobs. It is more fun to enjoy the presence of those you work with as it makes the day go by easier. I try to keep things light and friendly whenever possible and reasonable.

19 – Up until I turned 30 or so, I expected that, some day and to some one, I'd get married. Somewhere around 30 I considered that it wasn't impossible that I'd find someone I could put up with that would also be willing to put up with me, but it seemed less likely that this was going to happen. If it was a priority in my life, I would have done more to locate this young lady. Correction, I'd have done something, anything, to locate this young lady. Besides, I was already married to my collection and what woman would care to share me with it?

20 – Being somewhat different from everyone I know, I'm never completely comfortable. I'm generally comfortable until a big variation manifests itself and I'm reminded that I'm me. And there's nothing wrong with that.

21 – One of life's lessons that my Grandfather gave to my Father who then passed it to me is paraphrased as 'Why be like everyone else? Everyone else is stupid.' I've been told that I may have taken this lesson a bit too much to heart.

22 – I like to think I'm tough but I'm just a big softie at heart.

23 – I don't believe in reincarnation (regeneration,sure) but every once in awhile I go into a situation and I seem to know more about something than I should. It's probably either my brain remembering something I've read or I'm believing my own rubbish again but it feels nicely weird.

24 – I am much better at starting things than finishing them. The current untidy state of my living quarters is testimony to that.

25 – I am awesome. If you are reading this you are probably pretty awesome as well. Not as awesome as me obviously, but at least you're trying. Of course, to you, you are awesome. If you don't think so, why not? Fix that! To yourself, if no one else, you should be one of, if not the, most awesome people you know. I mean, you do all the things you like, you know all the people you like best, how can you not be awesome? And you're my friend so that's got to count for something. Right? ;)

(Yes I also posted this to Facebook today. I'm just getting full value out of the work.)

No comments: