02 January 2009

Bad Dream

Were there drug dealers? Police? Lions? I lose track but I know hiding was important. That's why we were hiding in the large hidden area of this building. We were a strong group, assailed on all sides by enemies out to stop us. Considering we were crazy, that was not a bad thing.

I was undercover you see but couldn't blow my cover completely and just go 'Hey, we're here.' I had to be kinda sneaky with what I was doing to stop the group I was in. When the leader type gal declared it time for a suicidal sarin gas attack, I had to act fast. I quietly sabotaged the mix of the gas. I slipped outside and provided information to the cops outside so that they could stop the approaching release. I held the cell phone to the leader's face so that she could scream a defiant 'You lead us to this!' message to her mother, which wasn't really helping stop anything. I laughed inside as she left this verbal suicide note as I knew I'd already outsmarted her and all would be well. Unfortunately I dropped my cell phone down a crack in the floor and heard it fall to the gym below. I had to get it. As I started to push my way through the crowd to get to the stairs, I noted to myself that leaving was a doubly good idea as even the reduced strength gas would interact poorly with my Time Lord personage.

Wait, what? Time Lord? When did I become the Doctor? I am wearing the trenchcoat so I must be him. Probably have been for awhile and not noticed.

I went around a corner, past my brother and some other people I know, made it down a few crowded steps until I reached a maintenance level and ducked in there. Now it was just a matter of getting to the area underneath the crack, getting my phone, and stopping everything. No problem.

I walked through dirty hallways, past tables with tools, through one room and out another. Running through the map in my head, I realized I was close. Carefully stepping on the stacks of vinyl records so as not to break them, I made my way into the room, working towards my destination. A maintenance worker had left his radio on so I could hear the live news broadcast from outside the building. It acted like a timer, helping me keep track of when I was.

Then, in mid-climb, it happened. She cheated and released the gas early. There was panic, tragedic words. The power of the gas had been reduced but not as much as I thought. People were dying but apparently only in the hidden room. Oddly enough the newscaster even reported my death, the loss of intergalactic crusader the Doctor. How did they know I was in there? Even though technically I wasn't really.

In a daze I returned near the hidden room, waiting to get back in. I was met by a fellow investigator, who explained that a crack in the wall by the water fountain I was looking at had killed the young man using it when the gas was released. For some reason, I was under the impression that only a handful of people had died, likely the ones right by the release, due to suffocation. I was wrong; over 50 people had died. I had a sudden mental picture of the hidden room, the bodies stacked up, looking innocent. I had failed. I had failed them. Grief staggered me. I moved down the hallway, towards the hidden room to see for myself, to bet forgiveness for my failure.

And that's when I woke up.

No comments: