28 December 2008

Football

I doubt I've got any Detroit Lions fans reading this but, if for some reason those people yet exist and one is reading this please don't misunderstand me when I say I'm glad the Lions went 0-16 this year.

For one, I'm glad the Lions didn't beat the Packers to go 1-15 and that's solely cause the Packer season was crummy enough and didn't need that stigma attached to it as well.

Mostly I'm glad because 0-16 makes it a spectacular failure. Any team can go 1-15 but to go 0-16 is special, something that will get remembered. I know it's not a good memory to have but at least it's something.

Also it prevents management from looking at a win in the final game of the season and going 'See, we just starting jelling this organization back together. We can't make more changes now.' There's no excuse to not burn things down and start over.

I saw 'burn things down' in a figurative, not literal sense. I know how excitable Detroit can be.

Now, how long before Brett Favre becomes a Minnesota Viking and incurs the wrath of Wisconsin?

1 comment:

MovieMan said...

Agreed. Also I thought it was funny that a Detroit Fan in the stands had a sign that said. "THE PERFECT SEASON" on one side and "0-16" on the other. The Packers season could be best sumed up as the season that could have been. Lets face it when I believe 9 out of 10 games have been lost by 4 points or less it tell you something about the team. No it not that Rogers is a failure. Far from it he is like 5th or 6th in the league as a QB and our offense was scoring about 21 points a game on average. No when you are losing by so few points I chalk it up to Defense followed close behind with Coaching.
There have been some pretty dumb play calling this season and I think the only reason last year we looked so good was because Favre made many of his own calls on the field.
I truely can't blame the offense much at all especially our QB. I disagree with all the nay sayers saying we would have looked better with Bret. Maybe one or two games but who knows we may have had even more interceptions.
I saw his game against Miami and it was truely old Bret forcing things when chips were down and giving up the crucial INT.
Hopefully this will wake the staff up and they can go into the off season with one thing on their mind for the draft. DEFENSE.