31 December 2008

What's in a Name?

As someone who tries to write fiction, do you know what I find really tricky? Naming characters.

If I pick a name from someone who's a friend of mine, am I writing that person as that character? Probably not but my subconscious might pick up and use part of that person's personality in the character and then it looks like I did use them as a character base.

Or lets say I'm naming a female character and I choose the name of a friend of mine or a name that sounds close to their name. Does that mean that comments I make regarding the character should be directed to that real life person? No.

As I've noted here before, I have written stories with characters based on people I've known. That's different and may be why I'm more concerned about this than I should be. Most people I know are reasonably clever and can tell the difference between reality and fiction.

I guess I'm just worried about the people that aren't so clever. Is that reasonable on my part?

1 comment:

MovieMan said...

Naming is tough. I just go with what feels right. If it happens to be similar to someone you know, no biggie. I think If you think about it too much you may be more apt at making that character like the person you know because of the name, than if you just stuck with the story. But thats just my opinion.