11 April 2009

I am Mike Myers

We stood in line for a Very Important Reason. The wind whipped at us, increasing the priority of the Reason we were in line. This I did not enjoy. The line was not impossibly long but it was longer than I cared to see at the moment.

Bob's friend Ed spoke, pulling me from my inner musings. "It's taken me five beers but I figured out who you remind me of." A moment later, he'd lost it again, his brain hiding the name he required, but it was a movie star, someone well known, on the tip of his brain. He began an impersonation of a character the gentleman played, hoping that would trigger someone's memory, if not his own.

"Mike Myers?" I guessed. I was correct.

"I don't see it," commented the young lady in line behind Bob. She was young but not that young. Maybe young in the way that I could be considered young. Pleasant looking either way. I busted out a brief and rusty Dr. Evil impression. Both she and her friend laughed. "That's it! It's him!" A calculated rummaging began. "Hang on," the young lady stated, "we're looking for a pen. I want your autograph."

I became confused. While I knew beer was involved, I was clearly not Mike Myers, in any way. That said, I've nothing against a bit of fun.

I pulled aside my jacket in order to access the pockets of the flannel shirt that lay beneath. From that pocket, I produced a pen. "Look, he's got an autograph pen all ready!" she laughed. She pulled up a shirt sleeve and offered me the underside of her arm to sign.

I hesitated. Bob laughed. "You gonna sign it Mike Myers or Steve?"

Eh, what the heck. I signed her arm 'Mike Myers', almost horribly misspelling 'Myers'. I blame the medium. I'm not used to writing on other people's arms. As that was being accomplished, their camera was located, and Bob was asked to take a picture of them with me. I was a little impressed with how casually I draped my arms around their shoulders. I'm normally a little less casual around total strangers but, again, beer was involved.

I was thanked and they resumed their place in line behind us. The line had not moved much. "Great, now I've used up my best material and we're only here." That got a chuckle as well. At least I hadn't thought about the Reason for being in line for a minute.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love it! I kinda pissed I missed this! Ah well, hopefully Wednesday we'll get more stories!