20 April 2010

Doctor Who - 'The Beast Below' review

Synopsis:

Starship UK. The remnants of the mighty empire fly through space while the Earth burns. Yet there is something no one talks about, no one mentions the Beast Below.

Thoughts:

From the first moment that we see Starship UK, I was reminded of Mega City One and 2000AD comics in general. It just screamed of that type of sci-fi to me. For the most part, I was right. It's exciting Doctor Who, moving quickly and slowly at the same time, full of high concepts and crazy crazy events that mean Very Serious Things for the people involved.

It also may take place around the same time as the Fourth Doctor adventures 'The Ark in Space' and 'The Sontaran Experiment'. It's a continuity reference that you don't need to understand for the episode but adds detail for the long time fan, which is how this should work.

I must have slipped a spoiler into my head at some point recently because I figured out too much of the story too quickly. I'm pretty sure this was me and not the story being too basic. Normally I can read spoilers so long as they are months in advance as I will forget them. For this episode, I felt I knew too much. That said, there was a thing or two I figured out quickly but that was mostly because we were given information before it reached the Doctor and Amy.

How about that Amy? This is her first 'proper' adventure and she goes at it like she's been practicing since she was young. Perhaps she has been. The Doctor gives her some advice early in the episode and it proves key to resolving the situation. That twist I hadn't expected and rather enjoyed.

Matt Smith continues to shine as the Doctor. He feels like the Doctor to me. He has moments where he seems to look like Peter Davison. Not like twins or anything like that, but like they could be related, as if he 'took after' that incarnation of himself.

I'm not so sure about the Smilers. The name comes out of nowhere. I may have missed something but it seems like the Doctor just starts calling them that. I don't recall a scene where that name is established. Again, could just be me but it jarred. I also have no real understanding how they work. They just are there and do stuff. Not that I want a list of rules but it's not clear what their parameters are or what they are or anything.

Big crazy concept that works. The small stories are cute. The Doctor only interferes when children are crying? Sure, whatever.

Pleasantly enjoyable.

No comments: