23 March 2010

Yes I understand that talking about this gag will not be as fun as watching it

Today I watched the new episode of the Simpsons that aired this past Sunday. On the whole, not a bad episode, with some entertaining parts.

Early on there was a moment (I'll try to not spoil the whole thing) when Principal Skinner had reason to pretend to be Bart. He's on the auditorium stage acting as Bart but Homer's not buying it. Then Skinner snaps at him, calling him fat and such. Without hesitation, Homer cried out 'why you little!' and starts choking Skinner as if he were Bart.

I don't laugh out loud much when I watch TV by myself but this broke me up. The comedy of Homer becoming invested enough in that moment where Skinner became Bart to him was great. The gag built up perfectly. It was a logical event for the character that still had a comedic impact.

Off the wall wacky is all fun for awhile but character based buffoonery will win out in the end.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.