22 March 2010

Music Monday - Material Issue

Last week's talk of 'pop' music made me think of a more recent band that followed in the footsteps of the Hollies in that regard. In the late 1980s and early 1990s there was a band that worked a catchy, guitar driven style with harmonies and were considered 'alternative'. Ah, useless, useless labels. They were Material Issue!

Valerie Loves Me



'Valerie Loves Me' is the video/song that I first remember hearing from the band and it was perfect for getting my attention. It sounded like music I already liked without specifically referencing a band's style. The story of the song, a young man in love with a woman who pays him no mind until it's too late, fit well into my still adolescent mindset. It was something I felt I had lived, apart perhaps from the 'now that you want me you can't have me' phase. I was hooked. The band also gave me hope that they could help me figure out 'What Girls Want'.



This video annoyed me. Show those cars more! Still, this song has a much happier ending, it's not all gloom and doom for our pop heroes! Except, of course, when it is.



The band ceases to exist in 1996 when lead singer Jim Ellison is sadly found dead in his garage of carbon monoxide poisoning at his own hand. While gone, this music is not forgotten. It's just too good for that to happen.

No comments: