24 March 2010

Feeling Rewarded

I belong to a number of 'reward' type programs for different companies or stores. There's the grocery one, the toy store one, the Best Buy one, all programs that say 'spend more money here and we'll cut you a slightly better deal'. At least that's the incentive to sign up. Rack up some sort of points from spending money and it'll work out for you. Or buy ten cans of soup instead of the two you wanted and it'll be slightly cheaper in the long run. That sort of thing.

I've joked about the love that Best Buy had for me in the past. How I spent so much money there at one point in time that they just gave me a Rewards Zone card back when there used to be an annual fee to have one. It was nice and I appreciated it but someone else has done better.

Last year in the haze of reuniting with the now-less-evil Disney, I realized that I was going to be engaging my Film History Geek mode more often as regards their movies. Disney has their own rewards program where you rack up points via the purchase of Blu-Rays and DVDs and movie tickets that can be turned into prizes at different levels of achievement. There are a number of movies that are only available on DVD via this rewards club. I realized that I had a number of codes in my collection from previous Muppet purchases and soon racked up a number of points just by looking around what I already owned.

For the past couple months I've been very close to a reward, a two pack of DVDs that I had an interest in moreso that the rest: the 'Donald in Mathmagic Land' short that I remembered watching in school and the 'Ducktales' movie. The club is active on Facebook and sends emails with bonus codes so I was whittling away at the gap, ten points here, fifteen there, while waiting to get a deal on a disk that would put my into reward completion land.

Earlier this month was my birthday. Still tired, I checked my email right away in the morning as I always do and here was a note from the rewards club: Congrats on getting old, want a free Blu-Ray? I followed the link to the club website and was offered one of five Blu-Rays for 'free', apart from paying for shipping and handling, a whole $3.17. Sure, what the heck! It might take 6-8 weeks to arrive.

Four days later, I had the disk as it came all the way from the Reward Club headquarters in Neenah, Wisconsin. I've never been that interested in moving up north before finding that out (they were hiring for awhile too!). The best part is that this almost free disk came with a code that gave me enough points to earn my reward!

I ordered the two disk pack, expecting to have to pay for shipping and handling again. Nope. When they say 'free reward', they mean it! No cost, here you go, they arrived yesterday.

I felt the love. The old opening for the Wonderful World of Disney show, packed full of old park footage, that played before the Donald short didn't hurt any either.

Thumbs up! Thank you!

http://www.disneymovierewards.com

No comments: