24 December 2009

Home Theatre Update

Tore apart my home entertainment center today looking for the point of failure. I unplugged this and plugged in that, then unplugged that and plugged in this. Quite the mess. After awhile I noticed that when my PS3 was connected to the television and was plugged into the power strip, I had feedback. When it was unplugged, no feedback.

This depressed me greatly. I haven't had the PS3 all that long and losing it would mean that I'd have limited or no access to my DVDs, video files, and the few blu-rays I own.

I kept testing. Unplugging the cable from the cable box into the television also removed the feedback. With it out, I could plug the PS3 in with no problems. Excellent! Except now I have no cable.

This opened a number of new questions. Was it the connector on the TV? The box? What? Luckily it's a nifty new type box with multiple input and output connections and I had a network cable running from the gateway to the area of the TV for the Mac mini that's also in that area. I still saw feedback using an alternate output method. Once I unplugged the cable coming into the box and replaced it with the network cable, I was good again.

So it looks like it's the input cable. Considering we didn't replace this cable when we changed cable providers earlier in the year, it's very possible that the cable just went bad. Or it could be another connector. I'll follow it back later. It took me most of the day to find this problem.

The best part about this is that I spent all this time working to improve my video quality and I'm using it to watch scratchy old video from the 1960s.

Yes, I am ridiculous.

No comments: