21 December 2009

Florida Trip Nov 2009 - Disney's Hollywood Studios

We spent a LOT of time here and that was reflected in the amount of pictures I took. I believe they are all posted now.

The Great Movie Ride - 3 times. You take a guided tour through movie history. The animatronics are of a generally high quality. The ones that are good (Gene Kelly, Julie Andrews, James Cagney, John Wayne, etc) are really good. The ones that aren't (Sigourney Weaver, Harrison Ford) aren't good but that's likely due to likeness rights and contracts and such. The highlight is the Wicked Witch of the West animatronic near the end of the ride. It's one of the higher level animatronics and moves impressively. It ends with a montage of clips from movie history in a 'theatre' of sorts. While there are some really fun sections to the ride, the tour guide script is very dull, intentionally so I believe. If you don't get into the classic old Hollywood scene, then there isn't much to see here. I enjoyed it a lot but I can see how others in my group got bored with it.

Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular - Once and we missed the beginning stunt. Doh. Fun, great look into how stuntwork works but it's a little long. Not sure I'd want to watch it over and over again on one trip. Highly impressive though.

Star Tours - 5 times. Chances are this version of the ride will be gone by the next time I go to Florida. It's getting refurbed and changed. While the hydraulics might need some work (or I just get queasy on simulator rides) I'm wondering how the update will go. I've heard rumours. Could be awesome or could be too much prequel stuff. That would lack cool.

MuppetVision 3D - 5 times. I still love this thing. It's getting remastered. I like that idea.

Studio Backlot Tour - Once. There's a brief show, some stuff to walk through, and a tram tour where you get to see a lot of old props. It's fun but another of those things that I'm not sure would be neat for multiple trips.

Toy Story Midway Mania - Once. Fun game. I won. :)

Walt Disney: One Man's Dream - Once. Lots of historical stuff regarding Uncle Walt. Props, photos, reconstructions of things, models, all sorts of neat stuff. I didn't watch the video at the end. This is a lot of fun for me. I think this works for me over the Backlot Tour because it's not a guided tour. I can pop in for a few minutes or linger, it's not that I'm locked into something for a half-hour.

The Magic of Disney Animation - Once. Got my picture taken with Sorcerer Mickey but the picture didn't turn out darn it.

Rock n Roller Coaster featuring Aerosmith - Once. It's a dark coaster inside a building. All I knew about it going in was that it launches at 60MPH and goes through two loops where you are upside-down. The going upside-down is what stopped me from going on it last time. This time I talked myself into it. You're latched in all sorts of tight and the first loop is right after you launch so you're through it so quick you don't even notice. The second one I noticed and it freaked me out to see the floor. When we got off the ride, my reaction was kinda like my reaction to the Mummy ride the first time: 'I dunno if I liked that.' I was giggling as we walked out. It was fun. Pity we did it after our days at Universal because it might have helped me talk myself into going on the Hulk. It's fun. I'd ride it again. I think.

The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror - 10 times. This also gives me hope that I'd like Rock n Roller Coaster more if I rode it a few more times. The first couple times I rode this during this trip I was still uncomfortable, like I was the first trip. Knowing we had more time to spend at Hollywood Studios than last time, I was inclined to ride it more. As I rode it, I got more comfortable with it. By the end of the trip, I went from clutching onto the handles with a deathgrip to having both hands in the air for the entire ride, hooting and hollering with excitement. This is good stuff.

Fantasmic! - Once. Laser, firework, water, fire, projection, and character show. Mickey falls asleep and his dream gets hijacked by Disney villains. He fights back and everything ends well. A fun show but more of it was video projected onto water than I expected. Now that I know what to expect, I'd see it again but the process to get into the theatre is a pain in the butt, especially when the group gets separated on the way inside. It's another of those things you have to set aside time to accomplish and I like keeping the days a little more loose than that. I know, I'm lazy.

Pictures, Pictures, Pictures:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2045438&id=1353274305&l=aed1d0bf37

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2045580&id=1353274305&l=3fb2bd9827 

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2045416&id=1353274305&l=91863074c5

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2045041&id=1353274305&l=6af1844553

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2044910&id=1353274305&l=e870c31594 

No comments: