29 October 2009

Rambling about the elderly, tires, and shoes

Yesterday I'm in Target wandering about in the electronics section. There's something about being out in the middle of the day and that something is elderly people. I have nothing against the elderly and am happy to see people of advancing age still be somewhat functional. I do ask that they try to stay out of my way when I'm in a hurry. Beyond that, we're cool.

One of the disadvantages of age is generally poor hearing. One of the advantages is not giving a care and, to be honest, that's the thing that makes me look forward to being old or hoping I make it that far anyway. This probably explains why they get in my way when I'm in a hurry. Hmm.

Anyway, there was this older couple wandering about the electronics section as well. They were irritating me and I made sure I wasn't in the same aisle as them. It's not that I didn't want to be helpful to them, it's just that I ascertained that they weren't going to ask me any questions; they were just going to be loudly ignorant. My friends that work at certain stores see it every year about this time: people in the store for the first time since the year before looking for something for little Johnny, have no clue what Johnny wants, and wander around the action figure aisles trying to figure out what a 'Spider-Man' is. These are clueless people and, unfortunately, most of them are not good-natured but ignorant, they're just ignorant and annoying. I'm not sure what the older couple I saw and heard yesterday was: ignorant or ignorant and annoying.

I know they were at least ignorant because I heard this statement: 'Blu-ray. Whatever that is.'

Now, do I expect the elderly to be up to date on home theatre standards? No, not at all. It did sound funny to hear. I wandered off quickly because I wasn't sure I could stand another gem like that.

I was in Target to kill time while my car was getting new tires at the nearby Fleet Farm. I think most drivers don't think much about their tires unless there's a problem. You just drive to where you're headed and back home. Now, I knew my tires were getting old so they were on my mind to some degree. My dad had a look at them the other day and said 'You know how I said you needed new tires last winter and you didn't get them? Yeah well, you need them now. Like, right now.'

Once you have new tires on your car, its like getting new shoes: you suddenly realize how bad the old ones were. I haven't traveled that far yet but the car seems to ride smoother, the handling is better, I'm hoping for better gas mileage, it just feels right. I am glad I took care of it despite it not being cheap to do.

It also made me aware that I need new shoes. New insoles anyway. Walking to and from Target made my feet hurt. Not good.

No comments: