31 October 2009

Blasted animal...

There's a stretch of Brookfield Road that's a bit dangerous. It's one lane each way, woods on either side so it's a bit cramped, and there's a steep hill involved. Despite it being dangerous, it's also a bit fun. My stomach drops out on it like it does when I ride a roller coaster. Going downhill is an exercise in careful driving and it's impossible to keep to the speed limit without tromping down on the brake.

Tonight I was on that stretch of road while heading for the Compound. I was gently braking as normal to keep the car under control. A car was heading uphill, causing our headlights to duel and cast glare all over. As our cars went to pass each other, a deer darted between our cars, crossing the road.

Is this what young deer do on Halloween? Sit in the bushes, smoke deer cigarettes, and wait for cars to cross on a nearby road so they can tell their buddies 'Watch this guys!' and run? I could believe it if true.

My light braking became more intense. With an oncoming car, I had nowhere to swerve to, only braking to save the day. I bumped the deer on it's back hip as I came to a halt. It scurried away. After a moment, I drove on.

It doesn't look too bad. The hood has a bit of a bump in it but, if that's the worst of it, I made out okay. There's also some deer hair stuck in my hood as well. Tomorrow I'll have another look at it in the daylight and see how it looks, as well to see if the car's leaking anything. Hoping for the best.

It's a good story, but not as fascinating as the one my buddy Kevin has told. Years ago while driving from Madison to Milwaukee, the car ahead of him on the freeway smacked into a deer. The legs of said deer detached themselves from the rest of the deer and flew back towards Kevin's car like hoof tipped missiles. He changed lanes to avoid them and punched it to get away.

Hopefully it wasn't late night trick or treaters dressed as a deer. If it was, it would serve them right.

No comments: