20 August 2009

A Few Thoughts on Comics from This Week

Not a bad week but not a great week either. One of those weeks were there's some good stuff but no big 'wow!' books. Solid week.

Daredevil reaches his 500th issue this week. The title was restarted and returned to its original numbering at one point but, beyond that, its an earned 500 issues. No counting from the forties or some anthology book that includes some issues with monster stories in it. We get an extra long main story, a preview, a new short story, and a reprint. Is it good? Yes. Is there an event I didn't expect? Yes. Do we have something totally new as the 'normal'? Yes. Thank you Ed Brubaker! No offense meant to the artists involved but Ed's writing had been bringing me a lot of joy here and in Cap and, well, I don't think there's a bad book I've read from Ed.

Heh. 'Read from Ed'.

Amazing Spider-Man #603 shows us what Peter Parker could be or, rather, what type of person he could be. Of course, he's not that way and that's why so many people like the character. This story is delightfully creepy, reinventing an older character in a new style. Good stuff. I believe we're halfway through this story and, at this point, I'd recommend this story to anyone who's not reading Spidey. Looking very much like a 'grab the trade' moment.

Doctor Who #2 still doesn't have me quite sold on the art. It's not bad but it's not quite clicking. The story is good. It gets big points from me for having a cameo from Buster Keaton. I love Buster Keaton. The cliffhanger into the next story doesn't have me sold. We've been down this road before and I'm concerned it won't be anything we haven't seen before.

Transformers – All Hail Megatron #14 has two short stories, like the other epilogue issues. The first story sheds some light on the actions that a character took during the main story. The second is setting up the future. I am excited by this development. I'd say more but it would give away too much. Neither story is great but both are good, either as codas or set-ups.

No comments: