19 June 2009

Really? Really?!?

Monday night my buddy Brian texted me about WWE RAW, noting that Vince McMahon had come out to announce that he'd sold the show to an investor. Being long-time wrestling fans, we knew this was a story and figured the investor would turn out to be Ric Flair since the show was in Charlotte. I spent most of the night flipping back and forth between the wrestling show and the Brewers/Indians baseball game, which was just wild. I haven't watched RAW in ages but was curious enough to check in. The investor turned out to be Donald Trump.

While Trump has worked with Vince before, we couldn't figure out as a group how this 'independent investor' that just owned the show would work in the story. Would he just be responsible for the content of the show, like a 'general manager'? Would he have to provide wrestlers, bringing in new wrestlers, pretending they worked for Trump and not the WWE? It seemed overly complicated and, as a group, Brian and Moppy (who we dragged into the conversation) and I dismissed it.

Today I read that the storyline was promoted via press release on various websites. Nothing new there either. Another press release noted that this was all a storyline. On that 'news' WWE stock dropped 7% as investors apparently believed that Trump had actually bought into the company.

For years I've been reminded by non-wrestling fans that wrestling is 'fake'. I've had many people look at me funny because I look too smart to watch something so stupid. Yet here were people that play the stock market that couldn't tell the difference between a storyline and something real.

And I was the idiot all these years? Suddenly the poor state of the economy makes sense. It's awash with desperate stupid people looking to get rich quick.

I think I get to look at people that play the market with that Look now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sad thing is, Crew has off Monday, so I'll probably sit through that two hour, commercial free mess.