14 June 2009

A Few Thoughts on Comics from this week

This week's big 'wow!' book was Fantastic Four #567. The Masters of Doom dismiss Doom as if he was nothing. You know Doctor Doom is not going to take this lying down! This storyline is the big wrap-up to Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch's run on the book. Halfway in, it feels like a big deal. Seriously bad things have happened and the FF aren't even on the scene yet. This could be impressive.

On the other hand, there's Uncanny X-Men #511. This was the end of a storyline wrapping up some threads. I'm not quite sure what happened. Part of me wants to read the last few again to see if I can figure it out and part of me is just annoyed. It was all something about putting corrupted psyches back into corpses to bring them back to life. Oh, and the character that was doing it has been dead for awhile. No clue when they brought her back. Next issue looks like it's going to focus on the X-Club, kind of a Planetary for the Marvel Universe, and I should enjoy that. It's a group of mostly scientific adventurers led by Hank McCoy. For all the X books there are, they could spin this off so I could get that book and cancel my Uncanny subscription. Those X-Club characters are fun.

Hack/Slash #23 is a double feature book with a cover that looks like an old movie poster. I continue to enjoy this book!

Amazing Spider-Man #597 still doesn't have any Phil Jimenez art. It does have a grand story in it. Spidey's infiltration of the 'Dark' Avengers tower doesn't go well. This is pretty much the exact opposite of well. The cliffhanger is one where I know what we see can't be what happened but I'm curious as to how they'll get out of this one.

No comments: