26 June 2009

Not Quite Time Travel

When you're a kid, it's pretty easy to categorize people by their age. There are other kids, adults, and old people. Other kids are pretty easy to figure out. Old people are people as old as your grandparents or older. Adults are a pretty nebulous group when you're young. Older teenagers can fit into that adult group, despite them not being adults by anyone else's view, because they can babysit you and therefore tell you what to do.

A lot of the 'adults' from when I was young (10ish and younger I guess) are all in that same mix in my head. Some of them may have only been five - seven years older than me (high school when I was in grade school) but they felt like adults at the time, so terribly, terribly grown up compared to me.

Bumped into one of those 'adults' today. Haven't seen her for twenty years or so. Still looks the same, still looks good. Had one of those moments where something clicked in my head and I thought 'Aha, that would explain a lot.' She was one of those 'adults' that I had a bit of a crush on when I was too young to realize that's what it was (like Lynda Carter and Erin Gray). She smiled today, a bright warm friendly smile, and it pleased me to see that wasn't gone.

No comments: