28 May 2009

Yes, It Can Happen to You

We've probably all seen an article at some point that argues pop culture desensitizes people to suffering and pain. They'll point to some kid that goes around the bend and does something damaging to others. They dig into his interests and trot them out as an explanation; that he listened to this music, watched these movies, played these video games, tuned into these television shows. They can't explain why no one else that had these interests didn't snap like this one kid but that's because the answer is never as simple as all that.

Removing these extreme cases from the equation, I'm of the belief that what becomes damaged is a person's imagination. Whether it be from a lack of variety or an inability to read well or just plain simple-mindedness is unclear to me but what is clear is that people often aren't good at putting themselves in other people's shoes.

For instance, have you ever been watching a movie with your friends or family and a character in the film does something that, to you having extra knowledge of the situation because you're watching the film, is dumb but, from the limited knowledge the character has, isn't dumb? Has one of your group felt the need to comment "Well that was dumb. This movie is so stupid. Why would they do that?"? I'm not talking here of the ludicrous action, the 'I'll go into a darkened basement for no clear reason because the killer is down there and the writer needed a moment of tension here' kind of thing here. I mean more the 'I enter my home like I normally would, not turning on every light in the place because I have no reason to believe there's a killer in my closet' type thing. The sorts of things that normal people who don't know they're in a movie will do.

Or the 'how can they not hear that?' scoff? Are you familiar with that one? When the shadowy figure sneaks up on the unsuspecting worker that's busily involved with a task? Maybe the floor creaks a little and the worker keeps working, only to get attacked for all his hard work?

Then again, maybe people can put themselves in those situations. Maybe they're all too familiar to many people. Maybe it's not a lack of imagination, but plain ego. It's just that we'd like to think that, were we in the same situation, we'd be smarter than that. We'd be more on our toes than that. We'd fight back better than that. The killer could never sneak up on ME.

And, of course, for most of us, the killer could sneak up on us. It's just something we don't want to think about.

Yesterday I was vacuuming while listening to my iPod. I couldn't hear anything else, not anything at a reasonably normal volume anyway. No one was screaming in the room next to me so I didn't fully test the theory. Point is, even with the volume on the iPod relatively low, just loud enough to be able to make out what song was playing over the roar of the vacuum, I couldn't hear anything. Had a shadowy figure or a zombie or what-have-you been sneaking up on me, it probably would have been successful.

So it could happen, if you allow yourself to think about it.

No comments: