25 May 2009

Taking Me Back

I've long wondered if there was something wrong with my nose. Flowers rarely have a smell to me. I mean, occasionally I'd smell something but it never seemed like much. If you had a large enough garden then I could smell them but have three or four in a pot, generally nothing.

Today I went out to my aunt and uncle's greenhouse. They took it over from my grandparents decades ago. When I was a kid, it was a summer playground for me. I was there a lot. In the past fifteen, twenty years, not so much. I walked in today and it was the same.

Well, not exactly completely the same. The building's settling was a bit further along and I had to duck on occasion where I wouldn't have had to do as a kid but, essentially, it was the same. Most importantly was the scent. Earth and flowers; exactly the same as I remember from being a kid. Strong and rich, surrounding me. That's what flowers smell like to me. I must have 'broken' my nose as a kid, gotten too used to this smell being the proper one.

Between all that and getting to see family again, it was a good time.

Now, if we could just figure out a way for my cousin and I to switch hairlines, things would be even better. He's got a full head of hair that he doesn't want and I don't and wouldn't mind more hair. Minor detail.

No comments: