27 April 2009

I'm So Worried...

Sometimes I think humans worry about things too much. No, scratch that, I generally think humans worry about things too much, especially things they have little control over but want to be able to control. Don't think I'm looking out at other people and shaking my finger at them because I'm just as bad at some of this than anybody else.

Humans have been worrying about the state of the environment for as long as I can remember. It seems to have been a theme during the course of my lifetime. I don't think this is a bad thing; we shouldn't abuse the Earth and what it provides to those of us upon it. At the same time, humans as a group seem to worry a lot about things outside our control as regards the planet. We want to tinker and think that we can fix problems we see.

Maybe we can and maybe we can't.

For the past few years I've been reading articles bemoaning the low water levels in Lake Michigan, how it's a horrible thing, and arguing if we (humans) should do something about it. The last time we tried it made things worse. If we do nothing and it gets worse, we've no one to blame but ourselves.

The headline on today's Journal/Sentinel (http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/43752092.html) happily expressed the 'comeback' of the Lake. It's recouped about two feet of water in the past sixteen months. The waterline continues to rise. What fixed this issue? All the crummy winter weather we've had over the past couple years.

Ever think that the Earth knows what it's doing more than we do? Again, I'm not saying we shouldn't do anything, but maybe we just shouldn't worry so much. Things will work out. Or not.

No comments: