26 April 2009

Butterflies finally accept me


I was at the Milwaukee Public Museum on Saturday. Yes, that does make twice this week. The running gag amongst my family and friends is that I could go there every day and not be bored. Yes I have applied to work there.

Returning to the story I mean to tell, at the front of the first floor of the building is the special butterfly wing. You get used to things in Museums all being dead and on pins but the Butterflies here are alive in a humid, sweaty environment. This can feel nice in winter or on a cold day but is a problem when you haven't taken your jacket off as I tend to not. It gets warm fast.

These live butterflies will land on people to say 'hi'. They rarely, if ever, land on me. I've joked that I'm not sweet enough which is clearly a lie.

My buddy's kid collected them on his fingers without problem. They climbed on him without issue.

Saturday I overheated just enough to tire out. We had children with us and the extra energy I had to expend encouraged me to sit down at the soonest possibility. There was a seat cut out of a fake rock and, having checked for a lack of butterflies, carefully sat down.

My friends slowly moved closer. The butterflies swarmed around us but, as normal, they avoided contacting me. I relaxed and sat there comfortably.

Suddenly, there was a butterfly on my knee. Carefully I slid the camera from my pocket and snapped a picture. It was nice. I felt accepted. Finally.

No comments: