14 March 2009

Working Confused

One problem that I've had over the years is looking too far ahead into a project. The one story I'm working on gets multiple sequels and then story-arcs occur to me and this and that and pretty soon my energy to write the first story fades because the third story seems more interesting. Soon nothing gets done.

I'm fighting that urge right now, in a much more limited way than previously. A story idea has occurred to me for the character I've been focused on of late: El Hombre de Silla. For the past couple months, I've been working on collecting a few shorter stories together in order to have enough text to generate a book. I want to mark that off my list as a thing that's done.

I'm not sure this story will fit in this book. It might be best served in the next collection, or possibly on it's own, I'm not sure yet. It will involve research to do properly. I found a book that will likely assist me with that yesterday.

I'm concerned all this will distract me from the goal of finishing the current work. So far, I've still been making progress on the current story, both in my head and on 'paper'. It just seems... weird to be using my creative powers and trying to fight them down at the same time.

It makes my head hurt a bit. Nothing new there I suppose.

No comments: