25 February 2009

'Into the Wild Green Yonder' review

I'm not completely sure why I didn't like the new Futurama 'Into the Wild Green Yonder' when I watched it yesterday.

Perhaps it was because it didn't seem to link up much to the end of the last movie. Normally that would be no big deal but since the other movies felt more connected to each other, I expected it to happen again.

Perhaps it was because it seemed to change it's own rules. I don't recall women being treated as such second-class citizens during the series so that point here felt like it existed just to feed the story. Perhaps it was due to legislation that Earth-President Nixon introduced? Then why not bring it up before it's a critical story point? Before it feels like a cheat?

Perhaps it was because it felt like there was an extra episode attached to the beginning that had little to do with the rest of the story? Normally that wouldn't be a big deal either. Seen as individual episodes it may have worked better. As a 'movie' expected to be a whole, it felt odd when the storyline and characters with it disappeared.

Perhaps it was too preachy. Perhaps the jokes weren't funny enough. Perhaps it wasn't clever enough. All I know is that I was disappointed. I got bored halfway through and started flipping through other things, like I do with normal television. Stuff not worth directing my entire attention upon.

This might be the end of the series. Again. If they wanted to leave me unexcited, not chomping at the bit for more episodes should none materialize, they succeeded. It felt incomplete somehow.

I'm sure I'll watch it again and maybe I'll like it more then as I won't be expecting what I don't receive. For now, I expected better.

Thumbs way down.

No comments: