06 January 2009

More about the Archive

More cleaning in the archive. I've started to move onto 'do I really want all that?' which is a nice way of looking at the DC stuff in my collection.

As my friends know, I'm a Marvel guy. DC, not so much. I pick up the occasional series or a creator's run, but nothing much. I'm not completely sure why this is. I certainly watched DC cartoons as a kid and have a couple Batman and Superman comics from being a kid but they didn't spark me into buying comics like the Marvel comics I read did. Maybe it's because my buddy Matt had mostly Marvels when he lent me books to read so that's what I was more familiar with. Or maybe I just liked the Spider-Man cartoon better.

Whatever clicked in my head to make this happen is less important than the fact that it happened. As I dug through my DC comics today, I considered how silly it is in a way. I mean, no one watches a movie trailer, sees the MGM logo and goes 'I tend not to like MGM movies so I probably won't like this one either'. To a degree, that's what I do with DC comics. It's not wrong or inaccurate, it's just weird.

If you're thinking this is going to end with me resolving to be more interested in DC and give them more of a chance, well, no. I scraped away about half of the box.

What? I said I don't like them as much. If I hated them, I'd get rid of all of them. That's the sign of progress.

No comments: