02 December 2008

Series 4 Reviews - continued

'Midnight'

I hadn't expected a script from Russell T. Davies this late in the series that's not directly related to the big wrap-up story that has been ending each series of late. I wasn't sure what to expect from the 'next time' trailer so I just sat back and watched.

What I got was an effective look at how people react to one another, especially in times of crisis. I could see the parallels to a number of different situations in recent history and how panic can drive humans. I thought it creepy and 'real' in its own way. The reactions were real. You know what I mean. Disturbing but real.

The trailer had lead me to think of a 'disaster movie' type story which made me realize two things: (1) that's what the Christmas special 'Voyage of the Damned' was and (2) that was a storyline I had in mind at one point and never developed. Weird that 'Voyage' didn't trigger that memory but the trailer for 'Midnight' did. Now Russell's managed to rip off a story from me that I never wrote. Get out of my head!

Kidding. We all know he's not in my head. He's just been visiting my Doctor in a U.N.I.T. hospital and writing his adventures before I can. Which is more annoying than anything else...

No comments: