20 December 2008

Notes for 'The Time I Met the Doctor'

-While last week's story with the Ice Warriors in a hospital was never released so far as I can remember, this story has gotten around a bit. It was submitted to a fanzine for print but politely rejected as the Doctor and his friends don't get enough to do. It appeared on the ktne forum as a one part story. I had to chop it into fives for it to appear here as it would have been too long to submit as a whole.

-The Doctor appearing in this story is the Doctor as portrayed by Patrick Troughton, the second man to play the role on television (1966-1969). For comparison purposes, the current television Doctor, David Tennant, is the tenth man in that role, not counting silly parody sketches and such. The idea here is that the Doctor and his friends are outside their normal dimension, which explains the Doctor's lack of knowledge of the aliens and their language.

-Our main character, Patrick Thompson, is the main character in the novel I've written and realize requires much rewriting before it's done. I like Patrick. Part of the reason I wrote this was to have the Patricks meet as I did name my Patrick after Troughton. Patrick is also appearing in an El Hombre de Silla story that's halfway (or so) done.

-The Na'Dar are loosely based on the Oni race from the Urusei Yatsura series from Japan.

-I like putting people I like in cameo roles in stories. Mr. Kirby is one of them. He's based on the 'King of Comics' Jack Kirby, the man who co-created a number of the characters I'm fond of to this day: Captain America, the Fantastic Four, Thor, the X-Men, etc. There's a link on the right if you're more curious.

No comments: