19 December 2008

'The Time I met the Doctor' - part 5

Erik pointed the device at the group. Victoria gulped nervously. Jamie steeled himself for the blast to come, only his eyes showing a hint of nervousness. The Doctor's face dropped in an 'oh my' expression. He began to wonder if he was close enough to dive in front of the other equipment and do something before he could be frozen, but then Toshiro bopped Erik on the head and Erik took a little nap. Toshiro looked at the Doctor. "Please shut down the machines affecting Patrick and the Na'Dar girl. We have little time before he revives." The Doctor nodded and got to work.

"Why did you hit him?" Victoria asked.

Toshiro looked at her for a moment before speaking. "I have never liked him and I discovered recently that he tricked me into helping him. I decided to wait until the next plot against Patrick before resigning. The distraction you provided helped remove all his attention from me so that I could tender my resignation."

One device beeped. "That's off then." The Doctor continued to fiddle.

"Patrick said you were a good man," Jamie noted. Then he grinned a little. "I'm glad I didn't have tu hit you."

Toshiro grinned slightly in return. "I am glad you didn't hit me either. I would have won that fight."

"Don't be so sure o' that."

"I think I can safely say that . . ."

"Neither of you need to fight," Victoria said firmly. "Right?"

"I suppose not."

"No, not really."

"Good."

The Doctor clapped his hands together excitedly. "That's all deactivated. Now, I need all your help in carting away the things that are Llan's before Erik wakes up." With the talk of fighting ended, they moved themselves to this new task.


Llan's hold on my neck stopped suddenly, bringing an abrupt end to our laughter. "I can let go," she said quietly.

"The Doctor must have gotten to the machine," I gathered aloud.

She smiled. "Excuse me, but I have some gentlemen that require an attitude realignment." Llan hopped off my lap, and rushed at Kenshiro. Kenshiro screeched like a little girl and started running. Akaru froze in surprise, which allowed Llan the opportunity to grab the camera from him. She then said something in her native language that, for some reason, didn't make sense to me, or just wasn't translated, and pulled back to hit him, but Akaru just ran away. Chojuro was already leaving. I smiled at her revenge. I'd have joined in, but I was busily rubbing my legs. The circulation had gotten rather poor with all the sitting on my lap and I wished to restore it quickly.

About then, the rain stopped too. "Oh happy day," I said enthusiastically.

Llan was giggling. "Man, do they suck. What a scared bunch of fools."

I patted her in what was hopefully a motion inducing way. "Let's find the Doctor and see if he has your stuff." She nodded and we started walking out. Figuring 'Why not?' mentally, I started waving to people as we left, just playfully, like I was on a float in a parade. I got some applause. People can be weird.


The sun came out. We never really were sure whether or not the thunderous rain had anything to do with Erik's use of the machine, but my theory was that he didn't understand how to use it properly and it was his fault. I can't prove it, but it's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

The Doctor borrowed Llan's cleanser device and concluded his work on his circuitry. He seemed quite pleased, said something about not being further interrupted on their travels by those stuffed shirts back home. Wherever that meant. Llan and I left on good terms, well, friendly terms I suppose. I only saw her two or three more times that year, and we'd say hi to each other, but little else really. She finished her year at the university and returned home. I've not seen her since. The Doctor never did explain how we all understood her. Entertainingly enough, we developed the pictures Akaru took of us and the rain was too thick to make out who was inside the storm anyway. They had the wrong speed film. Erik tried a few more evil plans on me before the end of the year, but none succeeded. I've not heard of him or from him since. I hope he's given up on me.


"That's funny," I said, on my way back to the library/computer room with Mr. Kirby's umbrella. "I don't remember seeing that before." It was a tall blue box, a lamp on top, with the words 'Police Public Call Box' visible on a sign near the top. It's the sort of thing you'd remember seeing.

"Yes," the Doctor said from behind me. "It is a bit odd and out of place, isn't it?"

"I think so. Although, it does sort of remind me a bit of the time when I was . ." The sound of a door slamming behind me caught my attention and I turned around. The Doctor, Jamie, and Victoria had been following me, but they were gone. The only place they could be hiding was the police box, which didn't look large enough for three. As I watched, the light atop the box began to flash and a strange grinding, groaning sound came from the box. As I watched, the box faded from sight.


My red headed lady friend blinked in surprise at me. "It just disappeared?"

"Yup. Since I never saw any of them again, I had to assume they were in the box and it was some sort of travel device, although that seems very weird indeed."

"What did Cuthbold say when you told him?"

"Very simple. I told him they were very impressed with everything but that they had to leave suddenly and sent their best wishes. He was very pleased."

"It's not quite a lie."

"It's a version of the truth at least."

She nodded. "Good story."

"Thank you." I added a slight bow, which is not easy to do while sitting.

"Point for the future though," she noted as she stood. "Avoid telling your girlfriend stories that have a cute girl on your lap for most of the story." She strode away.

Oh dear, I am in trouble, aren't I?


-Fin-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well i hate to meet doctors.