05 November 2008

Talking about that which I don't talk about

It feels weird that I discuss my health here as I have been. I don't generally discuss it with those around me unless I have to do so. I mean, I've honestly answered 'You've been quiet today' with 'Got a headache' or whatever aliment is affecting me, but it's not like me to walk into a room and go 'Be warned; I had a bad lunch.' Or whatever.

Every situation is different and I have volunteered information as necessary but I tend to keep it to myself.

One main reason for this is that when I'm sick, I generally just curl up and try to be left alone. I'm not like some sitcom male that locates a female in his life and seeks to be babied while ill. Blankets, medicine, juice, tv, soup; I'll sweat through the rest. I rarely called into work sick (for many years I was in a room mostly by myself so I had no fear of infecting others) and would try to work through illnesses. In 17 years I think I called in sick 9 times. Something like that anyway. Stupidly low levels of calling in sick in retrospect. The only major benefit to being sick at the moment is that I don't feel as compelled to push myself as hard when I don't feel well. Once I feel a little better, I return to my less intensive projects and try to get something done. Like scanning CD covers in order to make my iTunes collection look brighter. What kind of dumb project is this? Anyway.

The other main reason is that I know other people, younger and older than myself, that have worse things they deal with on a daily basis than I do. A tummyache pales in comparison to lingering illnesses or aches and pains from injuries that never really heal. Serious stuff. Most of them don't complain about their issues. They might explain them but they don't really complain and they have things to complain about. It doesn't seem right for me to kvetch.

It's said that Midwesterners are a tough breed. Maybe that's part of it as well.

Anyway, I'm feeling a bit better today. We'll see how this goes.

1 comment:

MovieMan said...

I know how you feel. I normally don't like to do medications much less be babied when sick. Just let me sleep and I am good. I too have rarely taken a sick day...hell I hardly take vacation days. The only good thing is when your done being sick you get that half of day or day of just excellent feel good happy joy type of feeling. Like someone beat you with a happy stick...ok maybe not that bad. I hope I have given my point. I rarely have them.