04 November 2008

Just a note about my Dad

Was talking to my dad the other day about the election. He noted that the last time he voted for President was in 1968 during the Nixon/Humphrey battle. He stated it didn't even feel like he had a choice between the lesser of two evils. It did feel like he'd wasted his time so he never went back.

Now, my dad has never been a radical as far as I can tell. He had no hippie period or anything like that. He was in high school in the late 50s/early 60s, spent some time in the military, and has been a blue collar worker for the bulk of his life. He apparently took some computer programming classes at some point (I remember getting to play with his flowchart template as a kid) but didn't care for it. A very normal, salt of the earth type guy from that description I think. Of course, I've known him for a long time so my normal is largely based on his normal and if I'm not normal I'd have to think that he can't be completely normal either. 1968 would have been about the time he started hanging out with my Mom and, while they don't exactly agree on everything, she's not politically minded so it would have been easier for him to not be at that point either.

Still, I think it's funnier to believe that Nixon destroyed by Dad's desire to vote.

No comments: