01 November 2008

Brief Reviews of Series Four as I Finally Catch Up

'Voyage of the Damned' special

I don't expect too much from the Christmas specials as it's been noted by the staff that they try not to demand too much from the audience during them, expecting them to be distracted by the eating and merrymaking and what have you. I found it an interesting adaptation of the disaster movie style to Doctor Who, with all sorts of science-fiction added to it so that we wouldn't get too distracted by real life. I found it enjoyable as it went through the paces. Enjoyed the cameos of old men. Was amused by the fact that London was deserted because of the events of the past two Christmas specials. It also made for a weird moment about a week later as I walked through the Titanic exhibit at the museum. Staring at the deck layout of the actual ship, I realized it was familiar because I'd been staring at it in the computer screens in the special. A little creeped out I muttered "Yes, that looks about right" and moved on.

-Compare/Contrast to 'Time for a Change'-

The Doctor uses 'Take me to your Leader', noting he's always wanted to say that. I have him using that line in 'TfaC'. Since he doesn't get to use it 'successfully', I suppose it counts that he didn't use it. Both lines are meant as jokes anyway. Forgive me if I find my own joke funnier (for a change).

'Partners in Crime'

A hint of an idea wrapped in character development to launch the season. More lightweight than the Christmas special (pun intended). Not unenjoyable but felt too mired in Russell's need to be sentimental on a regular basis.

-Compare/Contrast-

The Doctor notes that Martha 'fancied him', which is how I wrote her character in the story. Julie tries to explain how the Doctor is different, but it's early in their time together and she just doesn't get it. Julie would understand as it was her reaction to the Doctor and primary reason to travel with him as well.

'Fires of Pompeii'

Wow! Now we're in the good stuff. Mystery, historical event, a dash of sci-fi weirdness, all wrapped in an explanation of how the series views time and how the Doctor is different from you and I. And it was entertaining throughout. Quite, quite excellent. A nice throwaway line that's a continuity reference back to Hartnell early on when they still think they're in Rome. Excellent!

-Compare/Contrast-

The Doctor explaining how he views events and sees the options available is somewhat similar to the Doctors attempts to explain Nexus Points, only here done much more seriously, and rightfully so too!

'Planet of the Ood'

A bit simpler compared to the episode that preceeds it (which I just really enjoyed) but very nice as well. Has a cliffhanger moment halfway in, as if it were two episodes from the original run cut together! More old sitcom fellas show up here. As if going 'oh yeah?' to the Hartnell reference in the previous story, this story manages to reference a story from the first ever season, tying the Ood and the Sensorites a bit closer together! Nice!

By this point, all of three episodes in, I love Donna's character. As much as I liked Martha, she often felt like Rose 2, the 'rebound girl' if you like. Donna feels like a different character, a companion from the original series 'done right' by today's story telling styles. Her moment of emotional crisis in this episode is key to that. She already realized it would be all fun and games traveling with the Doctor but her moment of being overwhelmed felt very 'right', very normal. She's adjusting, finding out if her 'skin' is tough enough to do these sorts of things with the Doctor. I liked that.

-Compare/Contrast-

Didn't see anything specific in this episode. After three in a row, I found that odd almost, but is neither good nor bad.

More to watch.

1 comment:

MovieMan said...

I enjoyed the character alot in this series. As much as an interesting angle it is for the companion to fall for the doctor and vice versa, Donnna is a nice dose of reality I think for the doctor. Someone who isn't swooning over what he does and also someone who is very solid in her own beliefs and lets the doctor know about them. In other words speaks her mind. Martha did seem more of the rebound girl but was stronger I think in alot of ways from Rose. She seemed more sure of herself.