24 May 2010

Music Monday - 'The Phantom of the Paradise'

You ever forget things? I do. I forgot that I had a lot of music in lossless format on my external hard drive. I started going through it the other day, putting it onto CD so I could travel with some of it. Amongst these things I found the soundtrack to 'The Phantom of the Paradise' and I'd forgotten how much I love that movie. Basically, it's a rock update of the Phantom of the Opera story with a heavy dose of the Faust tale thrown in. It's better than it has any right to be because the music is by Paul Williams who also plays the bad guy in the film.

...yes, that Paul Williams. Here's the trailer.



Talented writer Winslow takes his songs to publisher Swan and signs away his life's work. When Swan butchers those songs to maximize their commercial potential, Winslow freaks and attacks the record pressing plant (it was 1974 afterall), becoming badly injured but is believed dead. He resurfaces under a mask, haunting the concert hall, and demanding only Phoenix, whom he loves from afar, sing his songs. Swan talks him into rearranging the songs for her and, of course, gets screwed by the publisher yet again. It all get problematic from there.



Yes that was Archie Hahn.



The songs range from wickedly satirical, like the first song, to heartfelt love songs to mean spirited attacks. It's a musical and the music is good. Sometimes it's GREAT Music.



'If I could live my life half as worthlessly as you, I'm convinced that I'd wind up burning too.' Wow! That's a lyric!

Where's my DVD? I need to watch this again.

Phantom of the Paradise (Ultimate Edition) [Blu-ray]  Phantom of the Paradise  Phantom Of The Paradise: Original Soundtrack Recording

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude really...really? :-)