22 July 2009

Catching Up a Bit

Realized this morning that I missed out on adding to this here blog yesterday. This was rather unintentional. Some days I can find no topic to discuss or time is critical so I will intentionally bypass this in an effort to not have a week of one line updates that read like Twitter bursts. It's not that I actually feel like I have an audience to tick off... Well, hang about, I understand that people do read this, and I'm grateful for that, but I think the bulk of the people that do read this get the header at the top: I ramble here. Some topics will interest some people but not others. I have no hard-core collective that will grow irritated with me if I veer 'off-topic' as I have no promised topic. That said, I do want to provide some value for the time you spend here. If I can be brief and witty, that's fine. Sometimes this should be longer, more in-depth. Sometimes I just burble on and you'll want me to get to the point, which is probably where you're at now.

Anyway.

One of the advantages of having a little more available time is that you can execute decisions more quickly. The other day I had one of those 'if I move this here, and that there, I could do this' moments and, rather than having to think about it, plan it, and find the time to do it, I just did it.

You see, some months ago I got a second-hand Mac Mini with a digital converter with the idea that I could work on the video archive this way, save some space, and have a back-up computer in the event of failure of my main device. This project started out okay but I didn't have a good plan for it, nor a good location for it, and the project quickly ground to a halt. Now the Mini is next to my TV and I'm *cough* backing up my DVR onto the Mini. It's still in 'test' mode as I want to see how the end result AVI files look before I get too excited. Getting this all arranged and set up didn't take that long but playing with my 'new' toy took more of yesterday than I expected. We'll see how this goes. There are still lots of tapes to go through after this works.

Another change I made was to the original location of the Mini, the desk in my bedroom. My old iMac was there in an effort to get old data from old disks, not the sort of thing I work on often. It occurred to me that if I were to move the computer equipment more to the side, I could actually have a desk surface to work upon. As I'd just been reminded that a writer should have a space set aside for writing, this seemed ideal. I got it arranged quickly and promptly got busy with other things. On the plus side, I finally set aside some time this morning and cranked out a handwritten page like it was nothing. If I can grow more regular at this, I'll finally be getting somewhere. This is what I've always wanted of myself in this regard.

At the moment, I'm spinning plates, er, projects, and keeping active. It would be nice if I getting paid to do something but one thing at a time I suppose.

No comments: