01 June 2009

Missed a Couple Days, Ramble to Catch Up

Last week was a weird week that seemed to drag more than most. Wednesday I realized it was because I'd gone too long without seeing the bulk of my friends. I was expecting a 'booster shot' my going to the comic book store, only to suddenly recall that new books didn't get released until Thursday due to Memorial Day. Ugh, that ended up being no fun. Thursday had the Edge crew mostly gathered, Friday was baseball with Moppy, Saturday night was on at the Compound as normal, and Sunday was more baseball with Moppy and a cast of others. In that regard, I'm feeling much better now.

Speaking of feeling much better, the Brewers seem to be feeling better as well. Last week they were on a bit of a skid as well. Thursday was their day off. Between that, I noted, and them getting to see me on Friday, they'd so be bad to their winning ways. And what happened? Three game winning streak and a sweep of the Reds. My streak lives as well.

Saturday night we watched 'Fanboys'. I'm not sure which version got released on DVD as there were rumors of three different cuts of the film. The basic premise is that a group of Star Wars fans head to Skywalker Ranch in 1998 in order to get a copy of the upcoming 'Episode One' for their terminally ill friend can see it. They don't dwell much on the illness of that character but it does pop up now and then as a plot point. Even as the non-fan of Star Wars that I am, I found the movie entertainingly funny. While it does mock many things, fandom as a whole is not mocked. Fandom is often about the friendships you make as a part of that fandom and that theme is center to the film. It's worth seeing, even if the idea of Kristen Bell in a black wig wearing a Slave Leia bikini doesn't get your heart a-racing. Woo-hoo!

No comments: