19 January 2009

Florida Trip 3 (written in Florida)

While I seek a few moments to reflect on a busy week, to align the experiences I've had into some sort of pattern to structure, certain stories already occur to me.

Upon getting to EPCOT, we headed right for Spaceship Earth aka the ride in the big golf ball. Apparently few of us had experienced it and even fewer recently. I was interested in seeing it and even more so once I realized you ride in a 'time machine'. It's a people mover ride that quickly tries to show you how technology has advanced human society and the role you can play in continuing it. My buddy Niko, who is almost ten, sat next to me as I excitedly identified Gutenberg as the inventor of the printing press and Samuel Morse as the inventor of the telegraph before the ride could do so. Finally he shot me a look and asked "How do you know all this stuff?"

I couldn't resist giving a specific answer. "I read a lot," I answered before adding,"and I remember a lot that I read." That satisfied him and I noted that Edison invented the motion picture.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love how Jason was absolutely terrified to go on the ride too cuz he thought it was Mission: Space, and then as soon as we departed he pulled a Kare Bear and wanted to go again! :)