20 November 2008

Ugh, it's been awhile

I arrive at the apartment complex at which we were to meet a few minutes early. I'd talked about stopping to get coffee at McD's or something along the way, and had the time to do so, but just wanted to meet up and get going. We could stop as a group. I texted Moppy to let him know I'd arrived before closing my eyes for a cat-nap.

When he called me a few minutes later, I snorted like I was dragged from a deep sleep. Probably needed that. I get up, help him collect stuff, the Harms' arrive so we pack stuff into the car, and off we go. Everything is cheery. We are excited. We chit-chat.

In anticipation of the 30 some degree weather, I have layers of clothing on. I've a t-shirt, thin flannel, thick flannel with a hood, another thick flannel without a hood, and my blue 'Doc' jacket on. I'm wearing two pairs of socks. I'm wearing my flannel pajama pants on underneath my jeans. I'm ready to be in the cold. The car is not cold and I quickly start to overheat and not feel... right.

As a child I was prone to getting motion sickness on long trips. I'd sometimes get bus-sick on the school bus. The fumes can still turn my stomach. It's not something I've experienced in decades.

But lack of sleep + lack of food + beer foam still in stomach + overheated = car sick.

I was miserable but not horrible. I watched my lips grow pale in the rear view mirror. I removed most of my layers. I cracked the window for some fresh air. These helped but not that much. Once we hit Sheboygan (about an hour or so into the drive), I started burping. That helped. I've had occasional issues with gas that doesn't want to go anywhere but just inflates where it is, so I considered this could be part of that, especially when the burps helped a bit. One got a little acidy. Felt weird.

Then, it happened. It would have been a food escape but I had no food in me, so it was more of a foam and acid escape. I'm sure my expression was comical as it felt like my face expanded to its full capacity while containing the overflow. I soon controlled it and swallowed it back down.

Yuk.

A number of very reasonable questions followed. Yes I would be okay, no I haven't been like this in a while, stopping for a minute would probably be a good choice.

At the next exit, we pulled off and into a nearby Hardees. I miss Hardees. There aren't really any nearby me so I get to go to them rarely. This pleased me to begin with. I didn't readd the layers I'd removed and hurried into the restaurant, shivering a bit from the cold. After breathing deeply, warming up, and reassuring everyone I would be okay, I needed something to eat.

Now, it's obvious at this point that my brain and my stomach were not really communicating. My stomach said 'we are shaky and would feel better if we had some food in us' and evidently my brain only heard 'we need food'. It saw biscuits and gravy, which I enjoy, and figured this would make me happy. It's a nice, sturdy meal and would fill me up. As the coffee I sipped in the car had not made me feel better, the brain was smart enough to get orange juice, hoping it wouldn't be too acidic, and more like orange drink. Got a combo with hashbrowns (yay, hashbrowns!) and sat down to the excitement of eating. It smelled so good!

And then I opened the container of biscuits and gravy. I considered it for a moment and then closed it, to the amusement of those with me. When your stomach is jumpy, ordering something that looks like it may already have escaped you is not a good idea. Juice, no problem. Hashbrowns, no problem. Managed to nibble at the biscuits and that was all of that. Felt guilty throwing it out but it was the best choice.

Got back in the car feeling better, but not all better. Was much more relaxed and cat-napped the rest of the way to Green Bay, about another hour, hour and a half. That helped too.

I became alert when we spotted the stadium in the distance. We were here!

No comments: