17 October 2008

A Moment of Explanation

As I've been working to reorganize, reduce, and clean the physical archive, I've started working on doing the same to my digital archive as well. Actually I started working on it a couple years ago and then put the project aside for new projects. The long term goal is to collect all my work together (at least up to a point) and be able to have it all backed up in one place. Hopefully, it will also allow me to have some 'off-site' backups of the archive as well; in other words, be able to hand a disk or two to some of my buddies and say 'Here you go'.

The priority surrounds the 'teen doctor' series I wrote in high school. The bulk of these are retained on floppy disks that don't like to function properly anymore. They're also often in file formats that are becoming less and less compatible by the day. While it's true that I have access to paper copies of everything, those too are prone to decay. That and retyping an entire story is a lot of work. I've done it a couple times already and it's not much fun. Also, the temptation to reedit them is strong. I want them to be remastered, not special editions.

So in-between typing up new projects, I work on updating the old. Sometimes I find unused items, like the cache of movie reviews I wrote a few years ago for use on the website and never uploaded, and I realize I can use them here. I think the reviews are well written and deserve some exposure. There's some even more obscure movies to come from that pile so be warned.

Steve watch obscure movies? That unpossible!

No comments: