17 January 2008

The Adventure Continues... Spinning Our Wheels

As we passed through the ‘Yesterday’s Main Street’ exhibit earlier in the day, we saw the ice cream parlour within. Now became the time to visit it. I got a sundae that turned out to be larger than I expected. I’ve grown a bit lactoic intolerant as I’ve gotten older so this was not the wisest choice I could have made.

(It’s also possible that after the ice cream is when we visited the balcony but I don’t think so. My memory is fuzzy on this set of events for some reason. Normally it’s just fuzzy.)

We returned to the main rotunda with far too much time yet to spare. While George started hunting for the Christmas tree decorated for Greece, Kara decided it was time to play with me. We directed each other into a National Geographic exhibit just down the hall. After meddling in there for a few minutes, it occurred to me that the rest of the gang had yet to follow us. Before my concern could turn into something more, in they came.

Either due to the placement of this exhibit (just off the main aisles) or due to the increasing lateness of the hour, this exhibit was pretty empty. This gave us a chance to relax and play a bit. Once Kara was distracted with map related blocks, George started watching her again, mostly so he could sit down. I tagged over to Jason and we caused some trouble.

There was a display set up like a meteorological map with a camera pointed at it and everything. Perhaps proving that the lad believes in climate change, he found every hurricane symbol in the set and spread them across the US. Then again, he could be into whole-sale destruction as well.

There was a raft that you could fit half a dozen kids on that you were supposed to point towards the North Star. Or, if you pulled on the rudder fast enough, it would slam back and forth on its moorings. This was more entertaining to Jason thereby feeding into my ‘destruction’ theory of before. We visited a nearby tropical jungle tent where he grabbed all the toy food he could, especially the soda. I quickly grabbed a fruit medley and was happy with that. We built a pyramid out of foam and then he climbed it. There was a cutaway of a plane cockpit and we joined up with the others as we played with that. Again, no real learning on my part but it was relaxing after everything else.

Finally it was closing in on 17:00 and we returned to the transportation exhibit and the Falcon ride. We were only five minutes early (or so) but they wouldn’t let us enter the line until 17:00. This led to me following Kara into the back parts of the exhibit, watching her climb onto a cable car and trying to keep her from escaping the building through the massive doors on this side of the building. I succeeded in this at least.

Then it was 17:00 and we could get in line. It wasn’t a long line so this should go pretty quickly, right?

No comments: