13 January 2008

The Adventure Continues... Lunchie Munchies

When the museum was designed, those designers seem to have understood that they would have crowds. The walkways are large and easy to traverse. There is plenty of seating spread out for the Food Court. The Food Court itself… well, there’s a Circus exhibit down the hall that must have been based on the Food Court.

There’s plenty of variety, which is nice, at prices that are not unexpected for a location like this (my sandwich, bag of chips, brownie and juice ran me almost $11) but it’s all about standing in lines again. We scouted the location, found tables at which to sit, George took orders from his family and scurried off to stand in line.

Now, the first problem was that we grabbed two smaller tables next to each other as there were no large tables available. Amy was set to take Kara to the bathroom so I would stay behind with the boys. In order to hold both tables we needed to have someone sitting at both. Since there were three of us, one of us would be ‘alone’. From the way we happened to sit down, Jason took on this duty and immediately wanted to dismiss it. I couldn’t blame him as all he wanted to do was sit with us and not be stranded off to the side. Before I could suggest he just sit at the other table but closer to myself and Niko, there was some yelling and tears. We survived.

Soon enough Amy and Kara were back. Somehow we sort of distracted the children while we waited for George. And waited. And waited. It wasn’t his fault as the place was busy but it felt like he was gone forever. Niko entertained us with Pretzel Wars, naming his miniature pretzel as if they were wrestlers, having them fight and then eating the loser.

George appeared with most of the lunch and went back to get into different lines to wait some more. I dove in with him. I walked around for a moment, found that there was an area in the center of the room with pre-made sandwiches and thought ‘to heck with these lines’. The down side to all this was that I didn’t grab the sandwich I wanted. Somehow I must have picked from the wrong pile. The upside was that I saved George from standing in one line as they had the sandwich Jason wanted available in pre-made form. The sandwich wasn’t bad. Actually, for not being what I wanted, it was quite good. Not sure if it was worth $6 though.

After all the fighting to get lunch, actually eating it was anti-climatic in comparison.

No comments: