08 August 2006

How to go from hero to villain in Fifteen Minutes

Monday was another day of vacation for me. I made my way to West Bend around noon-time in order to search out some toys that I'd seen at Wizard World but was unwilling to pay those prices for. I see no need to pay $30 for something when there's still a chance I can find it in a store for $8.

Anyway, upon departing the store, I took a chance and called Chad. After his confusion regarding my location had been dealt with, I asked if he had eaten yet. Chad was in Eric's office and could confirm that neither of them had eaten lunch as of yet. Should I stop my and have lunch? Yes indeed.

Fifteen minutes later I was at their place of work in Jackson and was made aware of the fact that I had saved them from a lunch provided by vending machines. I was their hero. Woo-hoo!

While we stood in Chad's office preparing to leave, Eric suddenly pressed his phone to my ear, indicating that I should say hello. I figured that it was most likely his wife Katy on the other end of the phone and I figured right. My voice confused her. "Is this Eric?" she questioned. "Not exactly," was my illuminating response. We talked for a few moments and she remained puzzled the entire time. Teasingly I responded to her query of "Where is Eric?" with "Lying on the floor in a pool of blood, I just grabbed his phone."

I figured she had recognized my voice and knew it was me on the phone and I figured wrong.

Katy freaked out a little and my confused response to her concern must have triggered something in her brain. "Is this Steve?" she checked. "Yeah. You didn't know that?" She sounded pained. "No." I did my best to sound soothing. "Would you like to talk to Eric now?" I received a "Yes please" in response. I handed the phone to Eric and off he went.

Once their conversation was complete, I filled him in on her not understanding it was me when I spoke of the violence. He laughed heartily. He also noted that he would apologize to her later. I frowned. "Don't you mean I should apologize to her later?" I checked. "No," he confirmed. "You did exactly what you were supposed to do."

Hero to villain in fifteen minutes: a heel turn that WCW would be proud of.

No comments: