24 July 2010

I Don't Know About This


I have done very little to see what the plan is for the 'Green Lantern' movie. I've not really dug around the rumor mill or anything like that. I know who the lead is and now I've seen the picture of the costume and I'm concerned.

I like Ryan Reynolds. I think he's funny. He's good at the style he does. That's the whole thing; Ryan has the image of being the smart-aleck. Most of roles he's best known for have him playing that guy. Now, I'm guessing that his Green Lantern will be Hal Jordan. This causes my concern. I'm not terribly familiar with the details of the DC characters but when I think of Hal Jordan I think of someone that's very serious, not without a sense of humor, but more of a quiet wit than the sarcastic characters Ryan is known to play. It's not that Ryan can't play that style, but will the Ryan Reynolds fans accept that? If he plays Hal Jordan like a standard Ryan character, will Green Lantern fans turn on it? If he's not playing Hal Jordan, then why not? Isn't Hal the primary Green Lantern of the DCU now?

The Green Lantern costume is a triumph of simple design. It is classic, green and black. It is the uniform of an Intergalactic Police Officer. As I understand it, the mask is Hal's addition, to protect his identity while on Earth. So what is with the weird lighting effects on display in the movie costume? It looks like it has ground effects? It looks more like a Tron costume that Green Lantern. If it only glows on occasion, why let that be the first picture of the costume to be released? If it's lit like that constantly, it's gonna look ridiculous.

This all makes me worry that Warner Brothers is trying to make this their Iron Man movie, to the point of altering the main character to make him more sharp and funny.

For DC fans, this movie HAS to work. If this movie doesn't do well, doesn't make money, then you will get nothing apart from Batman movies for the next decade. If Green Lantern doesn't succeed, what other DC hero will succeed? What other character will get the nod?

Then again, even if it fails, maybe Warner Brothers will make another DC movie. I mean, they made Catwoman.

No comments: