28 June 2010

Music Monday - Husker Du

Remember Night Flight? Anyone? I didn't have cable as a kid but they'd repeat the show in the middle of the night on NBC and I'd tape it once (a) I got a VCR and (2) I figured out it was a weird show that needed taping. The musical acts I picked up on from that show! Before I had access to 120 Minutes on MTV, when MTV played music videos back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, I had Night Flight. One night they did a piece on Minneapolis and there was Husker Du!



The band was so janglely I didn't even realize that they were thrash punk. I mean, Night Flight said they were thrash but I was all 'am I gonna trust my ears or this late night show clearly assembled by drunks?' Trust the ears!



I bought what turned out to be their last studio album 'Warehouse: Songs and Stories' at the Camelot that used to be up by what used to be Northridge Mall. The store's a Half Price Books now so I still love the place. 20 tracks and I don't think there's a clunker in the lot. As time went on, I picked up older albums here and there but none of them entranced me the same way that 'Warehouse' did.



Punk rock needs more guys with handlebar mustaches. That's what'll revitalize the genre! More punk bands with mustaches! Doing covers of television theme songs!



You know how punk rock Bob Mould is? He was a writer for WCW for awhile. Sure that's when WCW was spending money on all sorts of crazy things but having a college rock icon write for wrestling is just full of awesome.

Warehouse: Songs & Stories     Metal Circus     Living End (Jewl)

No comments: