17 May 2010

Music Monday - Jim Henson

Yes, I'm aware that we had Music Monday with the Muppets not too long ago but yesterday, May 16th, was the 20th anniversary of Jim's death and, well, I can't let that pass completely without saying something. I mean, MuppetVision 3D just reopened from its refurb in time for this past weekend. That just can't be a total accident. If they can do a nod, we should too.

Much of Jim's work was tied to music. Early sketches on 'Sam and Friends' involved puppets miming to records. This no doubt made it easier for him to perform along to a recorded track later during the Muppet Show for things like this:



Those guys look familiar at all? Take another look to be sure. Yup, the Muppets are caricatures of the performers: Jim Henson, Frank Oz, and Jerry Nelson. Neat way to 'appear' on your own show, huh?

Musically the Muppet Show was also educational as I heard many different types of music that I wouldn't otherwise have been exposed to on my own. Was I drawn to Gilbert and Sullivan? Only so much that one of my favorite records had one of their songs on it. Sure it's Rowlf and Sam singing it but that's still cultural, right? Why is it Rowlf the Dog, Sam the Eagle, Kermit the Frog, but not Fozzie the Bear? Hmm.



I softened you up with silly songs for this moment. At least the intro sequence is trimmed back because the couple minutes leading up to this are the Saddest Thing Ever.



One more silly song? Yes, I think that sounds like a good plan.



Once again, thanks Jim. That was swell.

No comments: