16 March 2010

MPM to Shed Free Day?

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/87726152.html

I've had to read this article a few times to get the sense of it. At first glance it seemed like the goal was to remove the traditional free entry on Mondays for Milwaukee County residents. Upon further inspection, Dan Finley seems to be arguing that Monday is not sacred.

Some of this is clearly financial even if it's 'not about the money'. The Museum has a number of volunteer employees to help fill out their ranks. If, say, the free day was moved to Sunday, perhaps they would have more volunteers available to meet the increased visitor volume that the free day generates. There is a financial aspect to the question even if there continues to be a free day of entry.

I honestly can't remember a time when the free day at the Museum wasn't Monday. Since I was a kid it's been one of those 'you know you're from Milwaukee when you know the free day at the Museum is Monday'. With the Museum being a symbol of history and tradition, it doesn't seem right to change that process.

Yet, if it's not working, it should go or be moved. Just because something is a tradition doesn't mean it has to happen that way for always. The Museum is also a symbol of science and understanding. Those things sometimes change.

As I have a membership, I get in for 'free' all the time so, at the moment, this doesn't directly affect me. Yet, somehow, it does. I note all the other changes to the Museum that I notice. This one would be weird.

No comments: