28 January 2010

Stuck in the Middle with Myself

Sometimes a deadline can be galvanizing.

At work, projects can be easy to delay until suddenly it's the end of the month and you realize you'll get flack for your lack of progress. Around the home, it's easy to let things sit when there are more 'important' things to do. It arguable that Conan O'Brien did his best work on the Tonight Show when it looked like his time was ending.

Most of my deadlines are self-imposed these days. I push myself forward as best I can every day yet it never feels like enough. Often I feel like I'm in a big middle, close to no conclusion. That is tiring.

Some of that is down to how I react to my situation. I continue to regiment myself after a fashion in the event an opportunity for employment presents itself and yet I wonder if I should give myself over to older habits, staying up later and sleeping later, in an effort to get more done.

Would it work? Is it worth trying? Do I really have the time?

Maybe I just need a second notebook.

No comments: