29 November 2009

Florida Trip Nov 2009 - Universal Studios

Since I covered a lot of this territory back in January/February, I'm not planning to go into detail about every ride I experienced. If it was something I didn't see before or picked up a new detail about, then I'll discuss it.

In general, we didn't spend as much time at Universal than we did last time. As much fun as we had at Disney, it did feel like we ignored Universal a bit.

Twister - Once. My buddy's middle kid, Jason, was freaked out when we went on this earlier in the year. All the same, he went on it this time and seemed to get through it okay. Kid is bold. I like that.

Revenge of the Mummy - Twice. Still a fun time.

JAWS - you get in a Amity boat and take a tour around the area. The boat operator assures you that it'll be a peaceful trip but before you get too far, there's another tour boat sinking. A little further on, a fin splits the water and the boat operator freaks. He get instructions to shoot at it ('This thing's loaded?!?') and does. He slides the boat into a nearby structure with a dock but the shark breaks through. The boat gas station we go past is similarly attacked to the point it explodes and is on fire. We get to another dock but the shark attacks again. It gets hung up on a power cable and the boat operator shoots it again. One big boom later, the shark is burned and dead. The now-confident boat operator returns us to the main dock asking that we not mention the little 'incident'. It's fun and relatively quick. Jason, who did so well on Twister, didn't care for the fire or the shark and spent the ride with his eyes closed and ears plugged. Maybe I shouldn't have said it was a trained shark that rarely eats anyone.

Woody Woodpecker's Nuthouse Coaster - Once. Fun quick little coaster with some sharp turns.

E.T. Adventure - Twice. Still no Godzilla? Dang.

Men in Black Alien Attack - Once. Shooter game. Niko beat me again.

The Simpsons Ride - Twice. Still stirs up my belly a bit. When they say 'no recording' they are very serious about that. Excellent ride. I find it odd that my friends think that it'll turn back into 'Back to the Future' at some point. I understand my one friend's annoyance in that it's the same mechanics underneath both rides, that it's essentially a 'paint job' over the BttF ride. That's different. While I have nothing against 'Back to the Future', what I've seen of that ride indicates it was ready for a makeover. The Simpsons has 20 years of TV history behind it and loads of fans at various ages. 'Back to the Future' has fans but I wonder how many of them are younger than me. I suspect not many. I don't believe that BttF currently has the fan base that the Simpsons has. I'm not sure that BttF even had the fan base that Simpsons has right now, not even at their peak. I may be wrong but that's my theory.

Photos uploaded to Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2042729&id=1353274305&l=fe0319e2cf

No comments: